Afternoon Music Classes
Space still available for Classical Guitar students, Oboe students, Clarinet students, Bassoon students & Flute students. Please enquire with Mrs Annelis Alkema on cell: 072 537 9264.
Arts Academy of Pro Arte Alphen is a music centre that offers tuition in the afternoons to School-going Learners
THE ARTS ACADEMY of Pro Arte Alphen Park is a music centre that offers tuition in the afternoon:
• Learners from all schools are welcome to register for our wide range of instruments.
• Training is provided by highly skilled full-time and part-time teachers.
• Tuition fees are subsidized by the Gauteng Department of Education and thus highly affordable.
• A variety of Instruments can be hired from the Arts Academy.
INSTRUMENT TUITION at the Arts Academy:
• PIANO, VIOLIN, CELLO, DOUBLE BASS, FLUTE, CLARINET, BASSOON, TRUMPET, SAXOPHONE, RECORDER, CLASSICAL GUITAR, ACOUSTIC GUITAR, ELECTRIC GUITAR, BASS GUITAR, DRUMS AND MICROPHONE VOICE TRAINING.
THEORY OF MUSIC TUITION at the Arts Academy:
• Group Classes from Pre-Grade 1 to advanced levels
MUSIC EXAMINATIONS prepared for by the Arts Academy:
• Learners can be entered for all UNISA, ROYAL SCHOOLS of MUSIC and TRINITY COLLEGE Practical and Theoretical exams.
• We also provide music as a subject for Grade 12 or as an extra subject when learners register it as such at their schools in Grade 10.
How much does it cost?
There is a registration fee of R75 (Once-off)
Max 30 min : R750.00 per term
Max 45 min : R930.00 per term
Max 60 min : R1145.00 per term
Max 90 min : R1395.00 per term
Hiring of Instruments
Enrolled learners : R235.00 per term
Non-enrolled learners : R425.00 per term
Other Fees (per term)
Preparatory course : R395.00
Practical Musicianship : R395.00
Suzuki Violin Course : R190.00
Theory (non-practical learners)
Grade 1-4 : R395.00
Grade 5-7 : R495.00
Ensemble and Orchestra
Discount tariff per family or learning more than one instrument
2nd enrolment : -10%
3rd enrolment : -20%
4th enrolment : -30%
How do I start with music lessons?
It is important that you know which instrument is suitable for you. You can get excellent advice during an appointment with our qualified teachers at the Arts Academy.
Phone or e-mail the Arts Academy and complete a registration form.
firstname.lastname@example.org or call Annelis on Cell: 072 537 9264. We will then contact you to help find a suitable lesson on the timetable.
How long are the lessons?
Beginners usually start with lessons of 30 minutes. More advanced learners have lessons of 45 to 60 minutes. Music Theory classes of 1 hour per week are included for everybody.
What other activities are offered?
Pre-school Music Classes for younger kids. Ensemble and Orchestra concert every March. Arts Festival every August. Prize-giving ceremony and annual concert.
Preparation for Art Festivals:
– Pretoria Eisteddfod
– Centurion Eisteddfod
– Arts Festival of the Arts Academy
Dr Kobus Groenewald
Flute & Piano
Bmus (UP), Hons BMus (UNISA),MMus (UOVS), DMus (UNISA) , HOD (UNISA)
Head of Department
Kobus teaches Flute, Piano and Theory of Music.
• He regularly accompanies choirs, solo singers and instrumentalist s in concerts countrywide.
• He accompanies the music exam candidates of the Arts Academy for their UNISA, Royal s or Trinity College examinations.
• He is the founder member and flautist in the Pretoria Symphony Orchestra.
Mrs Annelien du Plessis
BMus Ed (UOVS), BMus Hons (UOVS), UVLM (Accompaniment)
Annelien has more than 30 years experience in piano teaching.
• She studied at the University of the Free State where she also obtained her Honours Degree In Chamber Music.
• She then did her UNISA Licentiate in Vocal accompaniment.
• She also accompanies music exam candidates up to Licentiate Level.
Mr Charl Lamprecht
Hons BMus (UP), LTCL
Charl studied at the University of Pretoria and teaches Classical Guitar.
• He has trained some fine guitar students who have become professional guitarists in their own right.
• He regularly performs as a soloist and with various ensembles.
• His recordings and CD’s are often heard on the radio.
• He has also presented a series of radio talks on RSG and Radio Pretoria on guitar music.
• Additionally, he plays the ten-and-fifteen string Renaissance Lute and the 19th Century Salon Guitar.
• His compositions are included in the UNISA syllabus.
Mrs Tilja Myburgh
BMus HOD (UP)
Tilja joined the Arts Academy in 2010 as a violin teacher and she is the founder member and conductor of the Arts Academy’s Pro Corde Orchestra for Strings, Wind and Percussion.
• She studied the violin with Denise Sutton.
• She was a section leader and committee member of the UP Symphony Orchestra.
• She completed her degree in Violin Method and Chamber Music with Zanta Hofmeyer.
• The Pro Corde Orchestra took part in the first ever Tshwane Youth Arts Festival at the State Theatre in 2012. The orchestra was also invited to perform at an ATKV Concert and travelled to Mpumalanga to perform with the Mpumalanga Youth Choir.
• Her learners regularly participate in exams and Art Festivals.
Mrs Denise van Dyk
Flute & Piano
BMus HOD (UP)
Denise has more than 30 years teaching experience at Music Centres such as the Pretoria Art, Music and Ballet School, Wierda Park Primary School and the Arts Academy.
• Her learners have been nominated to take part in the Sanlam Competition for Primary and Secondary School candidates. Some of her students have graduated from University with a music degree.
• In 2012 she was awarded the “UNISA Merit Award for teachers” for the outstanding quality of her work.
• She founded the Artistikulta Arts Festival for Music in Centurion and is organising it for the eighth time this year.
• She also participates in outreach music programmes for underprivileged children.
(Violin and Viola Teacher)
Mrs Friederike Scholtz
Violin & Viola
Information to follow.
Mrs Isabelle J van Rensburg
Piano & Music Theory
BMus HONS (UP), MMus (UP), UVLM (Organ), UOLM (Piano)
Isabelle joined the Arts Academy in 2008 and is responsible for Piano teaching and Advanced Music Theory tuition.
• She studied Piano with Professor Joseph Stanford and Organ with Professor Wim Viljoen.
• She won the ATKV MUSIQ Prize, the UNISA GRADE8 Bursary and the Stephanus Zondagh
Overseas Music bursary.
• She obtained her MMus Cum laude in 2012.
• She is the Director of Music and the Organist at the Skuilkrans Dutch Reformed Church
(She is currently busy with her Doctorate in church music at the University of Pretoria.
Double Bass & Bass Guitar
Werner completed his B.Tech: Music degree at the Tshwane University of Technology in 2007 and plays double bass and bass guitar.
He is a sought after free-lance musician, working most often with Nataniël and Steinway Artist® Charl du Plessis.
Apart from Nataniël and Charl du Plessis, Werner has recorded with many artist including the Phat Brass Big Band, Jannie du Toit & Christa Steyn, Jak de Priester, Pilani Bubu, Frank Opperman and the Radio Kalahari Orkes. Recent highlights include the SAMA winning Charl du Plessis CD/DVD: Pimp my Piano, Ghoema Award winning and SAMA nominated album Shanghai Brunch by Charl du Plessis, as well as performing on the sound tracks for recent “Suurlemoen!” and “Pretville” movies.
Werner has performed overseas numerous times including tours to China, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Scotland and Namibia.
When not performing Werner runs his own music agency, Music Mosaics (www.musicmosaics.co.za), providing music for corporate events, private parties and weddings. He is also part-time lecturer at the Tshwane University of Technology, Hatfield Christian Church and South Downs College.
The Music Connection,Jhb. endorses Werner for his professional needs.
Werner also co-owns Haloa Coffee, operating three cafés at the University of Pretoria.
Mrs Laura van Niekerk
Laura van Niekerk has been appointed as Trumpet teacher at the Arts Academy. Laura started her trumpet training in 1986. She completed her studies with an ATCL Licentiate from the Trinity College of Music London. She played professionally in the SA Police Band in Pretoria. Since 2000 Laura has taught the trumpet at various schools.
Ms Lee Smith
Lee is newly appointed as violin teacher at The Arts Academy of Pro Arte Alphen Park. She obtained a BMus Degree from the University of Pretoria in 2013. Currently she is studying for her Masters Degree in Music Education. She is also doing a course in the Colour String Violin Method and furthering her violin studies under the guidance of the well known SA violinist Denise Sutton and viola under Jeanne-Louise Moolman.
Lee also has a lot of experience in orchestral playing. Already at school she was a member of the East Rand Youth Orchestra. She has been playing in the orchestras of the Universities of Pretoria and North West. She also played ad hoc in the Pretoria Symphony Orchestra and has played country wide in many chamber groups. In 2012 and 2013 she took part in the Stellenbosch International Chamber Music Festival.
As a violin and viola teacher Lee has a lot of experience and had many successes with especially the younger learners. She is a great asset on the staff of the Arts Academy.
Dr Marié McLachlan
THDE (Visual Arts), Dip A (Pta Cons), MMus (Wits). DMus (UP, UTLM (Rec) UTLM (Theory),LTCL (Teacher), LTCL (Performer), FTCL
Marié’s profession as Music Teacher was the direct consequence of her years spent as a Visual Arts teacher.
• She lectured, for 20 years, at the Tshwane University of Technology , and amongst other things, was involved in providing musical items for the Theatre Productions.
• She lectured, in a part-time capacity, at the Universities of Pretoria and North West.
• She specializes in Baroque Performance , Recorder Interpretation, Practical Musicianship, Music Literacy and has published books on these topics.
• She is an Examiner for Unisa Music Exams.
• She is frequently asked to adjudicate competitions and to present workshops countrywide.
• Further experience was gained on her tours of Britain, Canada and Europe.
• She is a dedicated participant of community programmes in Mamelodi and Eersterust.
Mrs Toni Ivanova
• Toni was born in Bulgaria. She started playing the cello at the age of 12.
• After graduating from the National Academy of Music in Sofia she was part of the Sofia National Orchestra.
• In 1991 Toni moved to South Africa with her family and was appointed Principal Cellist for the State Theatre Orchestra.
• Since 2000 Toni has been freelancing with various orchestras and ensembles in Gauteng and has recorded a CD with Opus 3.
• She teaches cello at Pro Arte Alphen Park and the Arts Academy.
Mr Jean-Francois de Wet
Guitar and Drumkit
• Jean started playing the guitar at age 7. His formal training started in Grade 8 at the Pretoria High School where he studied classical guitar with Abri Jordaan. After school, Jean continued Modern guitar methods with renowned teachers like Mark Heydenrych and Nathan Smith.
• He also trained as percussionist and has taught drums since 2007 at Rietondale Primary School and the Pretoria Chinese School.
• He joined the Arts Academy in January 2013.
Mr Anthony Cloete
• Information to follow.
Mr Arno Steyn
• Information to follow.
Mrs Andrea Racionzer
Oboe & Saxophone
• Information to follow.